Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Paint questions

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 01:57:51 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:39:02 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Whatever brand, I want to stick with white and at least a semigloss,

even considered a gloss or high gloss, but I have never seen that much

wall done in a true gloss, would it be too much of a good thing?

Everything will be rolled and brushed

I am not a pro painter but do a lot of painting on my rentals. Once you
have that primer in place you can use pretty much anything. I just
primed out a freshly sheetrocked and textured walk in closet using Lowes
PVA primer this last weekend. I wish I had though to tint it because it
looks great but is kind of grayish. I would have left it if it was white
enough.

I would just use Valspar or Olympic laytex if you are buying from Lowes.
You could go to exterior if yo want it to be a bit tougher but it will
stink inside until it gasses off all the ammonia or whatever that smell
is. Also, semi-gloss is as much as you will want to go on a wall system.
Gloss just doesn't hold up well on large areas for some reason in my
experience. Also, with today's paints, you could go with egg-shell or
satin and get just as much wash-ability if that is what you are going
for.

cleaning is one reason the other is light reflection, I want and need
it bright. I'll take your word for the durability issue on the gloss,
I have no experience with gloss other than on trim.

basilisk

When I did mine 30 years ago I used no tecture on the drywall. Had to
work harder at taping and sanding but then after the primer I went
with an off white enamel. I can still take a dust mop or damp mop to
the walls for easy cleaning.

Mike M