Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 04:52:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

You just don't get it. I've sided with you, that the fence should be
moved and that you'd likely prevail if it went as far as court. But
everyone here, even those of us that disagree about that aspect, AFAIK,
agree that you should be communicating with the property owner, not
his architect and contractors. Yet, for some strange reason, you persist.

I've talked with the property owner. Apparently he is willing to delegate
the solution to the architect and contractor.

As for rubbing someone the wrong way, if I were your neighbor, by now, I'd be royaly ****ed. He's paying those companies to follow his directions and you are wasting their time, interfering.

How am I wasting their time? It is not like they are billing the owner by
the hour to talk with me. The architect is on a fixed price contract. The
contractor only charges for work that is done.

That path is a perilous one. You talk to the architect, you talk to
the contractor, what happens if they tear apart what is there, redo it
and then the neighbor sues you for $5000 for the cost? IMO, he would have
an excellent case. You have no business being involved in crafting a
"solution" with any of the contractors of the owner, only the owner
directly, unless the owner says he want you involved with them. He just
says, "I didn't tell them to do it that way....."

You think they would tear it down without telling the owner what they are
doing and what it will cost? You got to be kidding me.

And as I have repeatedly pointed out. Nothing is going to happen until
after the city comes and inspects. There is nothing to talk about until we
get their report.

And I am certainly not going to send some threatening letter by registered
mail. Unless he has refused to fix it. But at this point no one has said
anything about not fixing it.