Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Electrolytic ESR verus temperature test

I've seen very high capacitance readings on failing electrolytics, on
some cheap meters. About 20 years ago, I went through my inventory of
caps and chuck any electrolytics that read higher than specs. When I
got the ESR meter and built it, I tossed another 20%. Being in my 60s,
some parts were made in the '40s since I had bought out a number of old
shops in the '70s & '80s. ;-)

The cap you described was just starting to fail. First, the ESR
starts to rise, then the capacitance drops as it dries out, even more.
I used to do some failure analysis on components at one plant.

Yes, that was the post, and yes, I think you are right that the cap was in
early stage failure. For sure, it showed no external signs of stress

Arfa

Today's electrolytic failure ...

Teac table-top system - a bit Bose Wave Radio-ish. Nasty hum at power up.
4700 uF main filter cap located right next to the output chip heatsink. So
open that the Bob P meter couldn't read it at all. The little Chinese
component tester managed to identify it as a capacitor, at least. Value ?
44 pF ... :-)

Arfa