Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Paint questions

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

White will come back to bite you.

Off white or egg-shell is your friend.

The yacht builders learned that a long time ago.

Both of the above will provide good reflectivity IMHO.

Lew

Why will white come back to bite him?? On a yacht it is hard to
keep
the finish white due to algae, salt, and other contaminants - but
you
still see as many white as any onther colour - and perhaps as many
as
all other colours combined, depending on where you are.

Gloss white steel is used in a LOT of shop interiors.

Yachts provide a very difficult challenge to the marine coatings
industry.

Every one of them that I'm aware of offer at least three different
"White" coatings.

The basic problem is UV damage.

Not only does the boat get hit with the direct rays of the sun but in
addition, the sun's rays get reflected from the water so it is a
double whammy.

The service life of a marine coating in the Caribbean are about half
what thyey are in the Chesapeake Bay or the Great Lakes.

Since daylight is the culprit that we are dealing with any paint or
coating, trying to maintain a pure white is the most difficult task.

Choosing an "Off White" not only allows for an extended service life
since the daylight is trying to fade a color that is already not pure
white, but is also more able to hide marks and smudges that will
happen during service.

The whole process is a fight with mother nature.

Lew