Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Paint questions

On 7/9/13 12:05 PM, wrote:
Getting difficult to even BUY oil based paints in many areas.
Virtually no oil based primers in Ontario Home Depot stores, and even
at Sherwin Williams oil based paints are virtually extinct.

Had a problem with water based brimer softening drywall patche -
making them blister - untill I got "smart" and sprayed a thin coat of
automotive touchup enamel/laquer over the patch first.

Since discovering Zinsser BIN, I don't even mess around with other
products. I think Karl and Leon both turned me on to it. It's shellac
based primer that dries fast and hard. It's expensive but nothing works
as well.

I've used other, cheaper, Zinsser primers that weren't shellac based and
they performed equally well. If you know exactly what you're going over
and what's going on top, pick and choose the exact primer. If you don't
know for certain, just get the BIN.

But either way, I'd say go with Zinsser.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--