Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Paint questions

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:36:31 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 08:25:47 -0500, Leon wrote:

On 7/8/2013 8:57 AM, basilisk wrote:
Over the long weekend I primed the inside of the shop,
two coats of PVA primer/sealer that had been tinted white.

This caused a stir at Lowes, apparently no one had ever requested
the already white primer be tinted white, basically they humored
me to get me out the door.

After two coats of primer (25 gallons) blocks are sealed and
no color bleed through anywhere, something of an achievement
when painting block walls.

Considering that I will most likely never paint the inside again,
what would be the best topcoat? Oil base or water base?
I am willing to spend the money for a quality, durable paint, but what
brand and type does everyone like?
Sometimes spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee a good product.

Considerations on applying in high humidity? Humidity is in the 90's
and will remain so until mid-September.

Whatever brand, I want to stick with white and at least a semigloss,
even considered a gloss or high gloss, but I have never seen that much
wall done in a true gloss, would it be too much of a good thing?

Everything will be rolled and brushed

basilisk

I used Glidden latex simi satin. Not happy. When I lean a board on the
wall the paint sticks and pulls away and leaves a small cut mark.

Perhaps it was Glidden, perhaps it is the relatively high humidity
conditions.

Anyway Oil based paints tend to dry/cure better regardless of quality.

Latex cures harder with the better quality paints.

I would look for Sherwin Williams/Sears Easy Living Best

Thanks

I've almost settled on SW ProMar 200 semigloss.
Not cheap, not grossly expensive, supposedly on the higher
end of durable.

Still considering the oil based paints.

There are a huge array of products, all blanketed in layers
of marketing hype, you spend your money and take your chances.

basilisk

Getting difficult to even BUY oil based paints in many areas.
Virtually no oil based primers in Ontario Home Depot stores, and even
at Sherwin Williams oil based paints are virtually extinct.

Had a problem with water based brimer softening drywall patche -
making them blister - untill I got "smart" and sprayed a thin coat of
automotive touchup enamel/laquer over the patch first.