Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair (left-hand) pedal thread

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
Is it not possible to buy the spares? Is it an internal tread that
could be repaired by a helicoil? Not that I've ever seen a left hand
thread version of one - and standard ones cost enough.

I think it's easy enough to get inserts or helicoil-type devices for
left-hand threads, but they aren't cheap enough for it to be worthwhile.

As I said, I've never seen them. But the inserts themselves could be
fairly cheap - but would the fitting kit be? And do modern bikes use
common threads?

If it's a common problem and repairs are possible and cheaper than new
parts wouldn't a decent bike shop be able to do it? It's often cheaper
to have one thread helicoiled professionally than to buy the kit to DIY.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.