Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

Default Repair (left-hand) pedal thread

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I have a left-hand pedal crank with a fairly badly stripped thread.

Bearing in mind that I hope never to have to see a stripped pedal thread
again (and certainly, not see one again at the bottom of a Spanish
mountain, but that's a different story) is it even worth trying to
repair it with a kit or getting it repaired by a garage?

It was only a cheap crank to begin with.

Is it not possible to buy the spares? Is it an internal tread that could
be repaired by a helicoil? Not that I've ever seen a left hand thread
version of one - and standard ones cost enough.

I think it's easy enough to get inserts or helicoil-type devices for
left-hand threads, but they aren't cheap enough for it to be worthwhile.

Daniele