David Merrill

Default DIY dovetail jigs?

Haven't seen any of the dovetail jig imports in the flesh except the HF
version. However, see my comments in the following thread regarding the HF
version and Eric Anderson's comments concerning improvements he made to the
very similar, but not completely identical, Woodstock International version.
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...r%3D%26hl%3Den

On other products (specifically HF's $149 horizontal/vertical metal cutting
bandsaw) I visually compared it to Jet's comparable, but more expensive,
product and found that the Jet did indeed have some slightly different, and
better, engineering design details.

All considered, I felt that I got my money's worth with the HF product (both
the dovetail jig and the bandsaw referenced above). Note that I'm a
hobbiest; I only buy at their sale prices; I don't buy sight unseen; and I'm
prepared to do a bit of tweaking and modifying if needed.

David Merrill

"Charlie Mraz" wrote in message
Having just purchased one of the 'blue monsters' from Harbor Freight I'd

be
very interested in pictures and any construction and setup/use hints you
could offer regarding through dovetail templates. Perhaps you could

post
them to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for all to see. If you prefer

email note that the anti-spam 'DOT' must be deleted from my email

address.

Thanks,
David Merrill

I read a review of the JET dovetail jig on amazon that basically said that
the harbor freight version is somehow sub-standard as far as fit and

finish
goes. Is there any truth to this? The jigs from HF, JET, Grizzly, and
Rockler all look identical but vary in price from $39.99 to $79.99. I

know
the Rockler ($79.99) comes with the necessary template guide and bit, but

believe that the rest are jigs only. Any comments from owners of the
various brands?

Charlie