Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Trex - horrible to paint

On 7/8/2013 8:26 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 7/7/2013 4:24 PM, nestork wrote:
Trex is a wood composite material that doesn't need paint to protect it
from the Sun or from absorbing rain water.

If you painted with a latex paint, then that paint is too soft to
provide good service on a working surface such as a step. Just use the
steps normally, and the paint should wear off on it's own. (It'll
likely get very dirty looking because dirt will become embedded in it
underfoot. If you get fed up with it, I expect that any paint stripper
would take latex paint off of Trex without harming the Trex, but test in
an inconspicuous area first.

Rejoice, Higgs. What you did was acquire "experience". Now, if anyone
ever asks you if they should paint their Trex decking, you have all the
experience needed to answer their question with both confidence and
authority, having done that once yourself.

If you get tired of the way that paint looks, take it off with a paint
stripper. Just check that the paint stripper doesn't affect the Trex by
testing it in an inconspicuous area.

The Trex on my dock was a combination of wood and recycled plastic; main
purpose of big $ for Trex is never having to paint it....I would be
reluctant to try stripper on it. If anything, sanding and scraping.
Might even work to use hot water, soap and a stiff brush to get paint
off....and do it before finishing the other paint.

From what I read, Trex is a PVC wood composite. Most common solvents
will attack PVC. Color in Trex is throughout and should be recoverable
by buffing it up as with other colored plastics. Trex website gives
details on its care.