Frank Ketchum

Default Making a hardwood curved stage

"Jim" wrote in message

I have a 'stage' for my home theater project that is about 11' wide and is
curved...about 2 feet deep in the middle and 1 foot on the ends.

First off, I know how to physically make the curved cut, I issue is how to
do with and look like hardwood...either solid without seams or hardwood
flooring strip look..and get the edge treatment right, now on to the
questions:

If I understand what you want correctly, the vertical portion is the portion
which would need to be curved and the cap will be cut with a radius to cover
it.

You don't want to do this out of a solid block. What you want is to bend
the hardwood. Bend? It's not as hard as it sounds. What you want to do is
a lamination glue up. Get your stock that you want to use and resaw it on a
bandsaw (resawing is passing the wood through on edge to create wide, thin
boards). If you resaw your wood into several thin strips, (maybe 1/8"
thick) you can glue them back together around a curved form to give you a
curved front. This will appear as a solid piece of wood and is the normal
way of doing this sort of thing.

Maybe buy book that describes the process in detail if you are unfamiliar
with it. You may also be able to get a mill to mill the boards into the
thin strips if you need.

Good luck
Frank