Bob

Default Building a Wooden Garage Door

Morris,

Just what I was hoping to here - using construction grade stock worked out
okay. I have several sets of rail, stile and raised panel cutters already
but thanks for the reference. Good idea on using the exterior grade ply
instead of the hardboard and using dowels - inexpensive, strong and I have
the tools.

Thanks for the input,

Bob S.

Last year I replaced the bottom section of a 9' x 7' garage door.
I bought a matched pair of router bits from MLCS (#8838), a
number of 2"x4"x10' construction grade boards, and a sheet of
1/4" exterior plywood (to replace the 20-year old hardboard).

The only things I did different from the original were to use the
plywood and to dowel all joints. The new section will probably
outlast me.

You may want to get a new door bottom seal. The rubber of mine
was fairly well deteriorated (but I used it anyway).

It isn't a difficult job.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA