Frank Shute

Default constructing a wooden scaffold

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:09:06 -0400, Howard Ruttan wrote:

Frank Shute wrote ...
I need to put up scaffolding around my summer house in Finland in
order to do some work on the outside.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but there is a book published by
Taunton Press/ Fine Homebuilding called _Working_Alone_ IIRC. In there I
believe it explains how to do this.

I got a post off-newsgroup from a guy who says that there is an
article in "Fine Woodworking on Joinery" on building a scaffold in the
Japanese style using posts and wire to seize them together. To quote
my correspondent:

It shows how to use #9 annealed wire and 4-5inch poles for quick
building. The article is by Len Brackett. He was in Japan and
observed how they use this method for scaffolding. He used it to
build a 2400sq.ft. sawing mill shop on site. The method is sound.

I'll definitely look into that.

Many thanks to all who answered. Assuming I get to build it, I'll
post pictures on my site with a description of how to build it.

Despite frantic googling, I still can't find any decent articles
on the web

--
Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/