nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Well, Frank, I can't see any leaks in your refrigerant lines that might explain the "oily" smell.

I am seeing more frost formation on your evaporator, and it certainly doesn't look like most of the frost is forming at one end of the evaporator than another. So, I'd call that a more or less uniform frost accumulation.

From what I can see, there's no clear evidence that the freon charge on your fridge is getting low, and that means there's no clear evidence of any leak in the freon system. That in turn means there's no reason to suspect there's anything leaking out of that freon system, including an oil mist, so we're no further ahead than before. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I did see that the pipe with the loop in it cleaned up nicely and doesn't show any wetness now. I guess that oily film in the prior picture was just brazing flux left behind by the manufacturing process.

You said that the fan that blew air over the evaporator coil in the freezer was attached to the panel you removed. If that's the case, you should at least prop up that panel so that the fan is blowing air over the evaporator coils. Otherwise you''ll find that your fridge won't work properly until that panel is put back in place.

From what I can see, there's nothing seriously wrong with your fridge, and I have no idea what that "oily smell" is. Sorry I couldn't have pinpointed it's source. There's just nothing wrong in the pictures you're posting, except for the dented fins on the evaporator coil, and the dust accumulated on the condensor coil and condenser fan blades. Perhaps you could explain to your property management company that you're smelling an odd smell coming from the fridge, and ask if they can switch that fridge with one from the next empty apartment they have?