Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Installing a STRONG shelf on garage wall

dpb wrote:
On 7/7/2013 9:57 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm purposely not getting into argument about the strength of drywall
screws because I don't think that's the main concern here.

And, there's really no need for screws, per se, anyway...other than the
one ledger against the wall, possibly, and even there a 12 or 16d common
will be all it'll ever need. And, as for the rest of the frame, ditto.
There's nothing in tension to need anything more if it's designed at all smartly.

--

Given the choice of attaching the ledger with screws or nails, I'll choose
screws every time. In fact, given the choice of nails vs. screws for any

Obviously there are times when nails make more sense, like trim, etc.
However, if I'm building a frame for a shelf or anything similar, it's
getting screwed together.

Granted, if I had a framing nailer or even a palm nailer, I might use nails
for some projects, but when it's a choice between a hammer and screw gun,
the screw gun wins out every time.