Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Electricity: 3 phase query

If you pay them, I should imagine, but if its industrial, then you might
have the gods of the council down for some business rates.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
wrote in message
Hi gang,

AIUI, out in the road there are three live wires and one neutral. The phases
of the lives are 120 degrees out of phase with one another. The potential
difference between any two live wires is 440V. The potential difference
between any live and neutral is 230V. Domestic supplies only tap one live
and the neutral to give you a single phase supply, so if you want a 3 phase
supply for a workshop or whatever, you have to get the leccy blokes in to
dig up the road and tap you into one of the other live wires. Do I have that
right?

cheers.