Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheetmetalworking project + electronics?

Nice.

Several, several (~9) years ago I assisted a researcher in a 10 gun
version - a real bad ass version and using the way-back machine LTV
Areospace division in Arlington had a 6 that focused on a spot. It
could cut 1/2" steel
as the steel passed through the beam. The problem, it was massive and
was designed for shipboard.

The 10 gun one was an airborne model. Someday they will be tank guns
and aircraft - think C-110 puff the magic dragon with a laser system!
Bad enough with 105 shells!!

Martin

On 7/5/2013 7:29 PM, BobH wrote:
I have heard of a 3 ball tomcat, but never a 4 ball sheetmetal retainer.
What is it?

BobH

On 7/5/2013 12:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/laser-gatling-gun/28171/

What a hoot! I love the concept, but his bearing setup is truly
lacking. I think he used a bent sheetmetal race with a 4-ball
(instead of 4 ball bearings as stated) sheetmetal retainer, then
forgot to grind it smooth or center it.

I'll bet the liability insurance, which would go along with the
manufacture of such a toy, would be outrageously expensive. The
"CAUTION: Do not look into laser with remaining eye!" stickers would
go unheeded, I'll bet.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.