John

Default Building a Wooden Garage Door

Should work fine. Many folks ship lap the intersecting edges for
weather tightness - should be able to do that with a router table
before assembly. Primer and paint and good maintenance and it should
last long enough

John

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:24:50 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

Okay gang - got me another "volunteer" project. Short history - neighbor's
husband recently passed away so I help out where I can. Widow (in her 80's)
had a senior moment the other day and forgot to push the button to open the
garage door and she backed the car into it - big time. Needs a new garage
door - this one (one of two) cannot be repaired.

Checked pricing of wood garage doors for her and they're out of her budget.
Going with steel means she'll have to replace both so they match - that puts
it out of her budget also. I can make her a replacement door for probably
under $100 in materials and it will match the second door but....

Looking at the old door, it is made from pine (finger-jointed sections no
less) with tempered board for the panel inserts. Not a high cost door to
begin with but it's lasted over 20 years and would still be standing if...

So I was thinking in order to keep the costs down why not use some (best
quality I can find) fir 2x4's to make the frame? This is a frame and
flat-panel garage door with 4 panes of glass in one of the 4 roll-up
sections. I can salvage the existing hardware and all but one section of
glass. With a couple coats of oil-based primer and a good topcoat paint,
any reason using quality studs is a bad idea? I'll mill them to rough size
and let them set for a week then cut to final size. That should show up any
that are likely to turn into pretzels.

Just two weeks ago I replaced the springs on the door and repaired the
garage door opener (bad solder joint due to vibration). She could now
manually open the door in case of a power failure (we've had a few recently)
and the opener was once again working as it should.... and now this minor
problem...;-)

Anyone every built a 4 section, roll-up garage door (8'w x 7'h) - any advice
appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob S.