Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pschnarr@gmail.com is offline

Default How to stop entry door leaks?

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 2:23:26 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
if the door manufacturers would make their doors properly

in the first place, there would be no need for the

"jamb sills".

Agreed. I tried to find a one piece threshold that wrapped up the sides of

the door frame. Or, a "one piece" frame like vinyl windows have. But, I

couldn't find anything at any price. Every door frame seems to be made the

same way, with the same vulnerability to wicking and rot.

The composite frame and sill liner combination seemed to be the best

alternative approach (if you don't want a storm door on the outside).

Anthony Watson

Mountain Software

www.mountain-software.com/about.htm

I wish I had my problem back when Anthony started this thread. I have three exterior metal-clad HD doors installed by a contractor in an addition to my cabin. They are cheap doors but look decent and are good enough except for the leaking under the sills just like Anthpny reports. I have been struggling with this for two years and just now am getting aroundt to finishing the floor and so need a permanent solution. Thanks to comments above I am likely to go the storm door route as the simplist but I just had to put this out there. The adjustable sill plate on these doors has four bolts that raise and lower the plate to adjust for irregularities. The flashing and sill seem to be leakproof otherwise, but heavy rain causes the same kind of leaks Anthony described on the floor right in the middle of the door.

So finally I found I could take the sill plate (really a molded plastic strip) completely off by unscrewing all four of the bolts. I believe this is the source of the problem. Intense rain and splashing against the door causes a back flow of water that comes up underneath this molded plate and flows inside.

Has anyone found a solution for this? Should I put a thick bead of silicone on the underneath side of the plate, let it harden, and then hope it acts like a gasket? It would be great not to have to buy storm doors.

--Phil