Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT Apprentice wages

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
-septemb
er.org...
Tim Watts wrote:

2/3 was the bit I thought parents ended up paying unless darling
Willoughby
was of a mind to take 3 part time MacDonalds and evening pub jobs on to
pay
his own way (which is one of the typical newspaper lines).

If its any help, my grandson whose parents make very little money and
who
can just about get by with assistance from the bank of mum and dad gets
nothing.

He pays his own way by working all weekend and most evenings as a
warehouseman in a cash and carry warehouse. He also works during the
week.
He's taking a computer science degree and I don't know how he finds the
time to study as well as support himself. His girlfriend is in much the
same boat. Her family aren't wealthy, living just above minimum wage.
She's
working most evenings in a fast food "restaurant" to pay her way.

-- €˘DarWin|
_/ _/

My daughter worked every spare hour in a business in Kingston, and rose to
the top even whilst still a student. After she got her degree in fine art,
she went to work for them full time, and is now a regional manager. She
hasn't picked up as much as a pencil since, so other than saying that she
has a first class degree, the time spent was of little meaning ...

Arfa

There's more to a degree course than the technical content.
--
bert

Agreed, but she went on the course in the first place because she is a
very - and I really mean very - gifted artist. Much of the non-technical
course content - of which there was not much anyway - was arty-farty bollox
that she didn't agree with. She feels that overall, from an educational
point of view, the time and money was wasted, but the life experience was
valuable, and of course, she finished up with a very good job at the end of
it, allbeit not as a result of the degree itself or anything that actually
was learned from attendance at the university ...

Arfa