Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn[_2_] jo4hn[_2_] is offline

Default OT/IT'S A MAN THING

On 7/4/2013 8:22 AM, ChairMan wrote:
IT'S A MAN THING

A rite of passage. When I was 10 or 11 years old, a buddy and I mowed a
bunch of lawns and put together enough to buy a box from an Iowa
fireworks outfit. It was about a foot square and 3 to 4 feet long, full
of explosives. Lots of stuff that shot into the sky and sent out a
shower of sparkly things followed by some of the neatest explosions I
had ever heard. Oh and I was living in South Dakota at the time and our
town had no ordinances (hadn't thought about the uses of that word until
just now) regarding fireworks.

My favorite thing was shooting cans into the air. Remove the top from a
large can and put an inch or two of water in the bottom. Next, drill a
hole in the top of a smaller can (e.g. soup can). Taped a good sized
firecracker to the inside top of the small can with the fuse running out
the top. Place in driveway, light, step back and admire the can going
20+ feet into the air. Let's try this with a cherry bomb! The small
can never got airborne. It was partially shredded, the shrapnel stopped
only by the large can which burst its seams. Learned a lesson. For a
while anyway.
mahalo,
jo4hn