Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Installing a STRONG shelf on garage wall

Daniel Prince wrote:
wrote:

Does what I have described sound like a good plan? Can you think of
anything I could change that would make the shelf easier to make, or
less expensive? Thank you in advance for any help.

Purpose of "shelf"? What kind of load do you expect, and what
dimensions? Sounds more like you're building a bench...

I have two old bookcases and a steel cabinet against the wall. I
had several termite mud tunnels behind the bookcases and the cabinet
that I could not see. I want to put the bookcases and the cabinet
on the shelf with the space under the shelf empty so that I can
easily see any termite mud tunnels. The bookcases are lightly
loaded but the steel cabinet is full of power tools and extension
cords so it is moderately heavy.

For what you want to accomplish, I think you may want to just get rid of the
cabinet and bookcases that you now have and just replace them with these
shelves from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-She...1099/100010588 .

They are cheap and strong, and they set up in minutes. Each set only costs
about $35; and are 36-inches wide, 18-inches deep, and 72-inches high. Two
or three sets is all you would need to create the amount of shelf surface
area that you are thinking of building.

Here is a link to a video that shows how easy they are to put together:

http://cache.vendaria.com/integratio..._2109425036001

I have these in two different garages and two different basements. They are
very strong and solidly built. I store power tools and equipment and other
heavy items on them with no problem at all.

And, they sit up off the ground and are "see-through" -- meaning there are
no backs on the shelves, so you can see the wall behind the shelves. And,
you can even see down through the shelves -- including the bottom shelf to
see the floor and wall at the ground level. You wouldn't miss seeing any
termite tunnels with these shelves. And, since they are made of plastic,
the termites won't attack them like they could the wooden shelves that you
are thinking of building.