Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Installing a STRONG shelf on garage wall

On 7/4/2013 12:20 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
wrote:

Does what I have described sound like a good plan? Can you think of
anything I could change that would make the shelf easier to make, or
less expensive? Thank you in advance for any help.

Purpose of "shelf"? What kind of load do you expect, and what dimensions?
Sounds more like you're building a bench...

I have two old bookcases and a steel cabinet against the wall. I
had several termite mud tunnels behind the bookcases and the cabinet
that I could not see. I want to put the bookcases and the cabinet
on the shelf with the space under the shelf empty so that I can
easily see any termite mud tunnels. The bookcases are lightly
loaded but the steel cabinet is full of power tools and extension
cords so it is moderately heavy.

Don't use drywall screws, they're brittle and will snap under load.

Can you recommend screws that are as easy to drive as drywall screws
but are not brittle?

Actually, I've never had a DW screw snap under load. Yes, sometimes, in
some materials, they will snap while driving them in. But that's a
twisting action, not pure shear or tensile. I put up shelves in my
garage using a 2x2 frame under each 1/2"+ OSB shelf surface. The
verticals are only 1x2s and the diagonal supports on the bottom are
2x2s. All done with drywall screws into the studs in the walls. The
frame itself is nailed together with pneumatic finishing nails. I can
put my 200+lb body on the shelves with virtually no movement. I
actually have a pic of me on the shelf, but I will spare you that site.
Check out this pic
https://picasaweb.google.com/1101143...69412516223618
and the next few. Presently, there is a lot more weight on them than in
the pic.