Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: GUN CONFISCATION IN CANADA! (fixed broken link)

wrote:

Of course not. Between farmers, hunters, hobbyists and especially
aboriginals, there's plenty who subscribe to the gun culture. However,
I dare say that country wide, those groups very outnumbered.

According to current stats, the amount of guns has increased while the
number of gun owners has dropped. That suggests to me that an
increasing population don't feel that gun ownership is necessary.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...r-owners-rcmp/

Looks like those stats are (at the very least), in dispute from more than
one organization. One always has to wonder when things like this are
published - and by that I mean to wonder about the claims from all sides.
So much of it is speculation. It's easy to draw conclusions that aren't
really reflective of reality. Who knows?

As for being outnumbered - I know so little about the dispersion of
population (beyond the obvious...) in Canada, that it's really lost on me
when it comes to understanding how outnumbered any particular group is. I
would suppose it is safe to assume that in metro areas (just about
anywhere), the population at large considers gun ownership unnecessary, when
compared to the population of the remote areas. Notwithstanding gangs, of
course. Trends fluctuate, and for at least a brief time (don't know if this
trend is still growing), we saw a significant surge in gun ownership, pistol
permit applications, etc. in areas where historically, there was little or
no interest in it. Clearly, in response to some of the incidents that made
headlines over the past couple/few years. Likewise, we had been observing a
general decline in the number of hunters, which over time will generally be
reflected as a decline in gun ownership as attrition plays its hand on a
population. What's all this mean - not a damned thing. Just morning
musings.

--

-Mike-