Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerekG[_4_] DerekG[_4_] is offline

Default Landlord is saying you have not cleaned enough

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:44:06 +0100, "Dave Smith"
wrote:

Someone moving out of rented flat, has cleaned it; but landlord is looking
to charge and take some of the original deposit money because they say it is
not clean enough.

Friends say take photographs and go to the small claims court to retrieve
money. But it might be difficult to show cleanliness with photographs
unless you are a professional?

Any suggestions as to the best course of action. He still has a few days
access to the flat.

Some years ago when my son moved out of his first rented appartment
after uni my wife and I drove 260 miles ( return) and spent the rest
of the day cleaning including the cooker

The landlord's agent refused to refund the deposit because "The cooker
wasn't clean" . When we protested that his mother had come and cleaned
the cooker personally they said prior to him taking the tenancy the
cooker had been professionally cleaned and they expected the property
handing back in the same (pristine) condition it was before the
tenancy started.

ISTM this is unreasonable. Given say a twelve months tenancy, getting
12 months rent is self evidently compensation enough if the property
meets ordinary the ordinary standard of British cleanliness when
handed back if only for the reason that some wear and tear must be
accepted, an ordinary domestic electric cooker cannot be made to last
in perpetuity.

DerekG
Gordon Mac ****e-Features is a
"grate" economist.