Conan The Librarian

Default Grit scales for sandpaper and waterstones.

"Zaster Sap" wrote in message . ..

The official definition of the grit levels of sandpaper
goes something like this:

40-60 coarse
80-120 medium
280-320 extra fine
360-600 super fine

The highest number I've found is the 600.

As others have mentioned paint and automotive stores carry much
higher grits than that. Also, Lee Valley has PSA-backed 3M
microfinishing film in 15, 5 and 0.5 micron which are supposedly
equivalent to 1000, 2500 and 9000 grits. I don't know if they are
equivalent or not, but I do know that I've been using the film for
several years now, and my edge-tools seem to be sharper and to hold an
edge better than when I was just using plain old SiC wet-dry paper.

I attach the film to granite surface plates and keep it out on my
old modified w*rkm*tt, so it's just a matter of taking a few steps
over to the bench to touch up an edge.

There are also some other companies online that sell a variety of
films, etc. Precision Surfaces International
(http://www.psidragon.com/) is one I've dealt with, and there is
another company that's even cheaper, but I can't seem to find their
site right now.

Chuck Vance