Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Electrolytic capacitor question

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Jeff Liebermann = demented lunatic"

So, has anyone measured the temperature of the capacitors in a tube
type amplifier?

** As if they are all the same ....

Of course they're not all the same.

** Then you only look at those examples that are relevant.

I want to see if any of them run
anywhere close to 85C or 105C, as claimed.

** Then look at the one that was specifically mentioned.

Cos YOU claimed there were NONE and it was impossible.

" The problem is that nobody runs electrolytics at 85C. "

In particular, the big
aluminum can type capacitors that are often misplaced very close to
the tubes. You may actually be correct but I doubt it since aluminum
makes a very good IR reflector.

** The LCR caps in Marshall 100W heads and combos are sleeved in blue
plastic.

Very few electros are bare aluminium.

The caps under the chassis are probably comparatively cool.

** How the **** would a pig ignorant, stinking radio ham like you know ??

Never seen a tube amp in his whole, stinking life.

You proclaim that leakage current is important,

** You claimed it did not EXIST - you ****ing LIAR !!!!!

" A capacitor only draws current when the voltage across the
leads changes. The capacitor only dissipated power, and converts it
to heat, when the voltage changes. Pure DC across a capacitor does
nothing to produce heat."

You proclaim the temperature
has an effect on ESR, yet I'm expected to calculate how big an effect.

** Another pathetic, stupid, LIE !!

Do the simple test YOU talked about !!!!!

" For fun, and when it cools down somewhat, I'll make some boiling water
(for tea) and drop in an electrolytic while measuring the ESR with my
Bob Parker ESR meter. It should be interesting to see if practice
follows theory."

Did this exact test yesterday with a 56uF, 400V, 105C electro branded "
Jamicon ".

Started out with a reading of 0.66ohms, ended up with a reading under 0.1
ohms.

Exactly like I said previously.

BTW: Bob is an old mate of mine.

yet I'm expected to calculate how big an effect.

** No calc is even possible - you bull****ting, septic asshole.

You drag guitar amps, hi-v caps, and internal leakage,

** As well known counter examples to a whole pile of absolute CRAP you
claimed about electros.

A topic you are MONUMENTALLY WRONG ABOUT !!!

BTW:

Was it you mother or your father who taught you to LIE and BULL****
like this ?

Did your mother even know who your father was?

My god you are an asshole.

They need to turn up the variac on your ECT machine!!!