Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Extreme precision in figuring out experience

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 06:30:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 01:48:35 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 02 Jul 2013 23:39:43 -0700
On 2013-07-03, Carl Ijames wrote:
That's slide rule math - read two places off of the scales and estimate
the third digit. Definitely hire him, he might not know how to text and will
actually work while on the job :-).

I thought at first that he wrote a script to substract a "experience
starting date" from today's date and to send emails automatically,
this is what I would suepect myself of doing if that was written by
someone like me. But he said no, he wrote the email personally.

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:31:10 -0500, Ignoramus8303
wrote:

I just received a resume.

``As a candidate for the position I have a Mechanical Engineering
degree and about 2.54 years experience doing technical writing and
3.79 years experience doing some engineering and CAD.''

Two years six months and two weeks tech writing
Three years, nine months and two weeks doing engineering & CAD.

Could just be something to make a resume stand out.

Ayup.

What kind of ME is that, using only _2_ decimal places when he coulda
used 3 or 4? Sheesh!

Or forty eleven. Two decimal places is plenty

You failed to figure in my facetiousity factor there, sir.

It's not the number of places beyond the decimal point that counts.
It's the number of significant figures. You probably didn't have to
use a slide rule in college. I was studying math and engineering just
before pocket calculators came out. And when they did, I changed my
major. d8-)

It is probably no coincidence those are the numbers of cm per inch and
liters per gallon.

If he thinks this is a very clever thing to put on a resume, I personlly
would probably find him annoying to work with.

Frankly..Id not hire the guy based on the resume alone. Face to
face...might be a different story.

"Okay, your resume got my attention. Lets see if you have 2.54
years experience, or six months' experience 5.08 times."

Well, the ME degree sure beats a ******* in Liberal Arts, wot?

As long as he doesn't have to speak or write, that's probably true for
anyone Iggy would need to have on board..

--
Ed Huntress