nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
You are describing a piloted valve - which is quite common, but is
NOT the only kind of water shutoff valve.
I googled "Piloted Valve" and here's what Wikipedia had to say about it:
Pilot valve:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A pilot valve is a small valve that controls a limited-flow control feed to a separate piloted valve. Typically, this valve controls a high pressure or high flow feed. Pilot valves are useful because they allow a small and easily operated feed to control a much higher pressure or higher flow feed, which would otherwise require a much larger force to operate; indeed, this is even useful when a solenoid is used to operate the valve.

Pilot valves are often used in critical applications (i.e., emergency and safety controls) and are human-operated. They can be set up as a push-to-activate or dead man's switch.

Apart from the fact that the word "solenoid" appears in both my post and the Wikipedia excerpt, I see absolutely no connection between what I was describing in my post and what Wikipedia is talking about. We don't have TWO vavles here with the flow through one controlling the flow through the other, which is apparantly a prerequisite to having a "piloted" valve.

Last edited by nestork : July 3rd 13 at 07:16 AM