Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Digital magazine subscriptions

On 7/2/2013 10:18 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 7/2/2013 2:10 AM, wrote:
On 02 Jul 2013 03:08:21 GMT, Puckdropper
I'm not sure I want to invest serious cash in a device to sit on the
back
of the toilet. I've got a couple different bathrooms in the house, so
I'd need one for each room. Print subscriptions are cheaper. (Then
there's the whole issue of keeping the batteries charged, being in range
of a wireless connection or distributing files to each device, etc.)

Sorry, but just the fact that you've stated all this suggests that you
have little experience with it and/or just not particularly interested
in the available technology.

Wifi is set up once and should cover most areas of a house. And, on
the off chance that it doesn't, you can get a cheap repeater or range
extender to increase the range.

Most/many people travel with a cell phone or tablet much of the time.
The Wifi and your tablet is all you need to have universal access to a
computer or cloud directory or website containing PDF's of woodworking
articles.

While I agree that a magazines are nice to have available while
sitting on the throne, there's only so many times you can read the
same article without longing for something new.

Here's my take on digital. Your subscription is only good for the year
you are in., if you want to look up something 2 years after dropping the
subscription, you can't. If you have paper you probably saved it.

Some of these do allow it, most don't.

Many require awful reader software.

I have stopped all subscriptions, they all seem to come from a beginner
point of view. I occasionally pick up a nice tip, what I look for
mostly is design ideas, and even those don't exist in the WW magazines.

YMMV

The digital subscription I have allow the issue(s) to download directly
to the PC. Therefore, once there, they stay in the folder on your PC.

Some subscriptions have online reading and can archive several years,
such as Consumer Reports, but they aren't saved to your PC, tablet, etc.
The program I use offers both options and they recommend you download to
the PC for a few reasons. One is hassle of internet speed, or lack there
of, if presented.

Overall, I prefer digital. I have stacks of older Mags with sticky notes
tabs for reference, but they are wilting, losing adhesion and simply
getting in the way. IMO, digital is the way to go.