Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] brian@garagewoodworks.com is offline

Default Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:03:13 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 7/2/2013 5:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Leon writes:

tommyboy wrote:

wrote:

I recently finished a side table and I filmed the build process if you're

interested in watching.

This was my first time using lacewood and I was happy with how easily it

worked for such a highly figured wood.

Criticism ok.

Pictures: Bottom right titled "Side Table in Cherry/Lacewood" (three pictures)

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage1.php

Wasted enough time on this so here's my final comment. You expect some

fool to give you $1,200. for that "table?" You'd be lucky to get $120.

What color is the sky on your planet??

Now play nice.

Yeah, asking for criticism (quote: Criticism ok) then throwing a temper

tantrum when criticism is received (albeit snarky and uncalled-for criticism)

doesn't leave an observer with a good impression of Brian.

I am probably the worlds worse for firing back but he really did not

have a leg to stand on.

Definitely a shaker-style, minimilistic piece. I do mostly shaker-style

stuff myself, and there's nothing wrong with that style of woodworking.

Absolutely agree and, ;~),I noticed that there was a more reasonable

amount of glue used on this "educational episode".

Educational episode deserves to be in quotes? Nice one Leon.

As for criticism, the proportions of Brian's side table didn't look natural

to me, but the lacewood and cherry looked nice and the workmanship was

certainly workmanlike. Bookmatching the top would have added to the

effect of the piece, I think, perhaps by resawing the solid lacewood into

veneers.

Well it was his piece and it looked nice but going a bit further I would

not have used the lace on the top at all, rather I think it would have

had a more balanced look hed he used the same design and used the lace

on the aprons and drawer front. Used cherry for legs, drawer pull, and

top. But that is just my way of thinking and really did would not have

been a suggestion for better design.

But if Brian and his cohort like it, that's really all that matters.

Exactly! Only when you sell your work do you need to "worry" about what

anyone else has to say.

I can assure you that there are a lot of people that will

pay a very large sum of money for a piece, especially if it fits a specific

need. Been there done that..

Indeed.