Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electrolytic capacitor question

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 22:20:44 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Kripton wrote:

105 deg is the maximum operating temperature before the capacitor
starts to dry
and loose capacity.

It is unlikely that a cap in a TV set will reach 105C and fail.

What temperature do hot melt glue sticks melt at?

It depends on the composition of the glue stick. About 80C is
typical, although it can anywhere from 66C to 147C depending on
composition.
http://www.applied-adhesives.com/products/hot-melt-adhesives.aspx

Before I got an ESR meter I used to see how hot the electrolytics got while
it was running, the aluminium can isn't isolated so touching them can be
dangerous - the first line check was to see which ones could melt the end of
a glue stick.

Good test, but lousy accuracy unless you "calibrate" your glue stick.
I just use an IR thermometer, or if I want better accuracy, a
thermocouple or thermistor thermometer.

So, has anyone measured the temperature of the capacitors in a tube
type amplifier?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D