Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multi-meter

Do you also use a bit of dielectric grease
on the push contacts, to retard corrosion?

A person with a dirty mind would have a
lot of fun, with enlarging bulging bannannas
and greasing push in terminals.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message ...

I have noticed on my HF meter (one of the bigger ones with the rubber
slip-on shell) that the banana plug interface between the leads and the
unit are the cause of high resistance readings when shorting the leads
(upwards of 10 to 15 ohms at times, and it is inconsistent). My guess
is that whatever coating they use develops a skin, which messes with the
readings.

The solution is to *gently* stick a jewlers screwdriver into the banana
plug end to slightly bulge out the banana, causing it to make a more
positive contact with the jack it goes into; this will return the
shorted lead resistance back down to the 0.4 or so Ohms that I usually
expect.

Jon