Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Unstable ohmeter

"Peter Easthope"

I have a Sanwa BX-505 analogue multimeter where the needle wavers and can
not be zeroed on the x1, x10 and x1k scales. Zeroing is possible on the
x10k scale. The ohmeter is really an electromagnetic voltmeter connected in
a circuit with dry cell, resistor, zeroing potentiometer, leads and a
subject resistance.

** I take it that analogue multimeters are new to you.

The ohms ranges depend on AA and a 9v batteries - they must have sufficient
voltage or the needle will not zero.

Try some new AAs and make sure all the contacts are clean and bright.

A little WD40 sprayed on a rag is good for this.

BTW:

I used to own your meter's bigger brother:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sanwael..._n_501n50.html

It featured a 2uA, taut band movement.

..... Phil