Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

Well, let the flames begin, but Brian, that design is one of the most

unimaginative, soul-less designs I've ever seen. Now please don't take

this personally because your workmanship is impeccable as is your

choice of woods, but they are both wasted on this high school woodshop

project.

Tommy Boy,

Flames? Let me be the first. Apparently you have no fricking taste at all. This project is a classic, stickley-esque presentation of beautiful wood, excellently executed. This is soul-less? You are soul-less apparently looking only for beauty is some over adorned and tortured application of all that is complex.

Simplicity is beauty. I typically hate mixed-species wood projects. Walnut breadboards on a cherry table top make me puke. What we have here is an intelligent combination of Lace and Cherry, beautiful, simple lines, classic dovetails, utilitarian yet beautiful wood pull.

It really is a shame you can't see how beautifully simple and simply beautiful this piece is.

Can you please point us to the multiple pages of project pictures that you have that shows some of your imaginative and soul-full designs.

By the way, simple lives for ever in design. Other descriptions of imaginative and soul-full designs might be "trendy" "cliche" "crap", "WTF?", etc.

From one of my heros...
But it is true that oak, ash and elm properly treated, possess attractions that yield to those of no other woods. The undulations of their grain, the soft unobtrusive tones which they assume through skillful polish, the color-play which runs over their smooth surface are qualities which to be appreciated need only to be fairly observed.
Gustave Stickley The Craftsman, Vol. 1, NO. 1, 1901