Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Sat Nav V Smart phone.

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[Snip]

Makers of smart phones have worked very hard to get longer battery life.
For satnavs its nice, but less essential since they are most often used
where there is power available. Older satnavs were often better due to
being physically larger and allowing for larger batteries. However as
the prices have fallen they have got smaller and cheaper in construction
as well as price. My old tomtom go 700 can still do 4 to 5 hours on
battery, and that has a (small) spinning hard drive in it. My phone
could probably manage similar life - but 5 hours would take a sizeable
chuck of its battery capacity (although its a physically very small
phone and only has a 950mAh battery). The battery monitor on the phone
is quite sophisticated and will tell you which activities are using the
power. The display is the number one user. However enabling GPS uses a
bit. Wifi uses quite a lot, bluetooth a little bit. Cellular data a fair
bit (depending on signal levels).

and being in a steel framed building, where reception is almost impossible,
eats up battery life.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18