Leon

Default Grit scales for sandpaper and waterstones.

"Zaster Sap" wrote in message

The highest number I've found is the 600.

Actually automotive paint stores carry grits in the 2000-4000 range. These
grits really bring out the shine on a freshly paintesd surface.

But in several references to waterstones I've seen
the numbers 1000 and higher, maybe even
3000. If this is on the same scale as above,
it would imply that the waterstones are much
finer than "super fine". Can this be right?

I have an 8000 grit water stone. It'l put a mirror finish on a chisel.

My question is: Is the same grit scale applied to
waterstones and sandpaper or do waterstones
have their own scale?

No. they are all rated differently.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering
trying to sharpen my tools with sandpaper (the
Scary Sharp method).