Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Fuel comparison charts

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:16:08 -0500, jim
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

During an expose years ago on "60 Minutes", the question
"which is the more toxic, MTBE or the gasoline itself?" was
posed. The definitive reply stated conclusively that it was
actually the latter, rendering the entire alarmist groundwater
contamination issue by MTBE effectively moot.

I wondered about that. I mean, how much more toxic can it be than
gasoline?

MTBE mixes with water. Gasoline doesn't.
It also does not bind as well to soil as gasoline molecules.
That means it travels quickly with rain water into aquifers.
The EPA for years said it was safe until it started showing
up in water supplies wherever it was used.

So what's the bottom line on MTBE as it's understood today?

--
Ed Huntress