Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default How to washing tonnes of muddy gravel?

On 2013-07-01, Nightjar wrote:

On 01/07/2013 09:03, fred wrote:

Am I being stupid but surely if it was spread out over a path/drive the rain would wash it eventually assuming the crap had been raked out of it, and its going to need raked to get it level anyway.

The problem is wind-blown dirt, which only washes down to the weed

control membrane, where it makes a nice base for weeds to grow in. Once

every few years you need to remove that dirt, or you may as well not

have a membrane.

Add that to the already long list of ways in which gravel drives suck.

--

Today is Boomtime, the 36th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179

RIP: Richard Burton Matheson (February 20, 1926 – June 23, 2013)

Yes. My experience of them was poor. Gravel accumulating on the outside of the bend etc because 'kids' dont slow down. Tried snow blade on Westwood to level it. Waste of time. Gave up and had it tarmacadamed. Haven't looked back since.

I do prefer the appearance of gravel but it was too much trouble.

Never had trouble with dirt on it though did have to replace gravel every so often.

I found weed suppressing membrane a wast of time. Weeds will grow anywhere.

After a short period of time sufficient dust builds up on the mambrane to give weed some purchase.

Many years ago neighbour followed advice from website as to depths and types of different gravel to use for a 'good' job. Can't remember the figures but his car sank 3" into it the first time he drove over it. Somebody goofed somewhere,