Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to washing tonnes of muddy gravel?

On 01/07/13 09:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 01/07/2013 09:03, fred wrote:
Am I being stupid but surely if it was spread out over a path/drive
the rain would wash it eventually assuming the crap had been raked
out of it, and its going to need raked to get it level anyway.

The problem is wind-blown dirt, which only washes down to the weed
control membrane, where it makes a nice base for weeds to grow in.
Once every few years you need to remove that dirt, or you may as well
not have a membrane.

Colin Bignell

+1

and its also dirt that comes off car tyres as well.
I've got 3"+ of limestone and 2" of gravel on tyop, and ten years on its
full of mud and decayed organic material.

path clear sorts the weeds out.
every ten years or so it needs more gravel on top. As the cars grind the
sub base deeper into the subsoil

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.