Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Identify wood.

On 6/30/2013 3:05 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 2:39 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose.

Eastern red cedar is juniper. Juniperus virginiana

Is _a_ juniper, yes...I was presuming the other poster referring to it
as simply juniper was speaking of western juniper or similar than red
cedar.

That is, I've never heard anybody call red cedar just "juniper", even in
Virginia. Maybe there's somewhere that that is common, but it's new to
me if so...

I still think based on the wood and what bark that can be seen that it
is eastern red cedar. If, having been relegated to the wood pile, I'd
guess the odor isn't as pronounced as might otherwise be owing to
weathering...

I'm still open to further information from OP on where it came from,
additional photos of bark, physical description of the tree if known,
etc., etc., etc., to try to confirm/deny but that's my call at the
moment...