Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to washing tonnes of muddy gravel?

On 30/06/13 21:03, Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message ...

A relative has about 80m² of gravelled areas around their house. Over
the years, the gravel has become very muddy, and is now coverered
with weeds.

Is there a cost effective way of washing gravel? I've tried putting
it in a handheld steel sieve sloshing it around in wheelbarrow of
water, but that was very slow, and generated large quantities of
muddy water.

I suppose I could just put a membrane on top of it, followed by more
gravel, but I'd like to re-use the existing stuff.

Just been through this thought process myself. We have 750 sq metres
of pea shingle that was very mucky - I decided that although
theoretically washing it was possible, the labour involved wasn't
worth it. We stripped it all off and piled it up in the field - a big
heap . So we've used as much as we could in bedding for new drains etc
(total house refurbishment 98% finished) - also put in a land drain in
the farm yard and another scheduled o go into the field in a boggy
bit. Then currently I've a 20 ton pile of new pea shingle waiting to
be spread tomorrow, and no doubt we'll need another 10 or 20 tons to
finish the job. At least it means that the land drains are very
adequately surrounded by shingle!

AWEM

+1 dont waste the time.

If you need to dig out old, then add new.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.