Posted to uk.d-i-y
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default How to washing tonnes of muddy gravel?

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:17:51 +0100, MrWeld wrote:

A relative has about 80m² of gravelled areas around their house. Over
the years, the gravel has become very muddy, and is now coverered with
weeds.

Is there a cost effective way of washing gravel? I've tried putting it
in a handheld steel sieve sloshing it around in wheelbarrow of water,
but that was very slow, and generated large quantities of muddy water.

I suppose I could just put a membrane on top of it, followed by more
gravel, but I'd like to re-use the existing stuff.

Why not just rake the stones out, leaving the soil and weeds behind?

You will probably need some extra gravel to replace the stuff that is
buried deep in the soil, but if your main aim is to separate the stones
from the soil then a garden rake should do it.

Cheers

Dave R