Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Gooey perished rubber drive bands, revisited

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

N_Cook wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

Charlie+ wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:42:08 +0100, "N_Cook"

wrote
as underneath my scribble :

My own cut silicone rubber bands will go back in there

Just querying what this refers to? Having recently been through a

third
band replacement with my ancient Aiwa FX-90 (part of system rack)

and
had to bodge with an undersize band from eBay as originals no longer
available! C+

Places that repair hydraulics have a huge selection of o-rings in
round and square types.

2 troubles with that is its ok slicing a square into 4 say but only 2 of
them
would have a fair face on one side, to go against the drive pulley.
I've tried slicing circular O rings, physically worked but the rubber

seems
to be too stiff ,whatever the technical term is , restitution?, lack of
stretch for a given cross section area

You have to do everything the hard way. There are many different
compounds used to make the hydraulic seals, with no need to cut them.
They also stock rolls of round & square stock to make custom seals from.

The main problem with keeping old mechanical kit going is the requirement
for wide bands for bulbous balluster pulleys, and I've never seen that
format used as neoprene seals , neccessity being the mother and all that