Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ivan Dobsky Ivan Dobsky is offline

Default Sound proofing advice required please

"cdr" wrote in message
I get woken up regularly when my neighbour closes a door, because it makes a
"thump" sound.

I'm renting, so I can't make any structural changes to my flat, but I am
willing to put any sound proofing materials in the room which is next to the
"noisy wall".

Slightly unfortuntately, this wall is in a stairwell. However, I can put
the materials anywhere else in the room, immediately next to the stairwell
for instance. Also, I don't mind how much room the materials occupy, as I
don't use the room for anything in particular.

I was thinking of using "free standing sound proof panels", if they exist.
The height of the room is 2 metres, and so it would be very convenient to
get panels with that particular dimension. It would also be very convenient
if they stood up easily by themselves, although if not, I suppose I could
make them upright and stable by wedging something between the top of the
panels and the ceiling.

It really doesn't matter at all about their appearance, so they don't have
to be fancy looking panels suitable for an office.

Can anyone recommend anything that might be suitable please? Thanks a lot
for any comments!

Approaching it from the other angle. Earsoft earplugs are the best thing
I've discovered in ages. I never go on holiday without them. Trouble is,
it's quite easy to oversleep if there's no-one around to wake you. Combine
them with a sleep mask if you want complete sensory deprivation.