Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Gooey perished rubber drive bands, revisited

Charlie+ wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:42:08 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote
as underneath my scribble :

My own cut silicone rubber bands will go back in there

Just querying what this refers to? Having recently been through a third
band replacement with my ancient Aiwa FX-90 (part of system rack) and
had to bodge with an undersize band from eBay as originals no longer
available! C+

Originals are of course as near to perished as the ones you're having to
replace.
I tend to use silicone rubber as much more available from "pound shops" /
kitchen supply shops etc rather than large minimum square metreage of
industrial neoprene rubber supply companies, techniques buried in the 3x
tips files off my site
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk
The wide band for this Aiwa I will use a ring from one of those squash down
silicone rubber funnels ,
, just a shame about the lurid colours of the rubber
eg , http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userIm...1820013868.jpg
In the UK I get them from Matalan, gives 20 bands of a good range of lengths
and if 3mm wide then can be split for 40 bands. The slight set to the band
does not seem to matter for centalising the band on baluster pinions