Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hurco Table Enclosure

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

If you have some suggestions about doing what I want to do then I would
glad to hear them. Here are the criteria. They are not negotiable...
even if you "know better."

There's the contraption I use all the time. It is "sectional"
so it can be disassembled for clearing the chips and for parts
that interfere with it. Here's a pic :
http://pico-systems.com/shield.html

It drains into the T-slots to be compatible with the rest of the
coolant system. Not much gets out of it.

But, it sounds like what you want is a complete enclosure for
the machine, with its own coolant collection system. This would surround
the entire table and head and maybe have swinging or sliding doors
in tracks. I just don't need that in my shop.

Jon

I've seen that picture before, and its one possible solution. Simple and
elegant. I really would love to have a walk in enclosure, but I just don't
have the room or the cash for it. A full enclosed solution on the table
might be possible, but it would be overly complicated. I have come up with
a compromise solution. Tall front sliding doors (not over complicated if
you have ever built a drawer before), tall sides, and a short rear with a
vertically installed accordion way cover. The accordion way cover will hang
on a rod that can be raised or lowered for different knee heights to
maximize coolant containment on the rear of the machine, and totally removed
when the knee is at its highest position and the way cover is just in the
way. I have a plan! I have even ordered a few parts already. Yes, coolant
recovery and recirculation is part of the plan. The table has two drains at
the rear, and there is a wide channel between the main surface and the lip
of the table, so I will probably cover the t-slots between vises rather than
use them for drainage. Besides, I'll have t-nuts partially blocking them.
I figure some PETG sheet and a bead of silicone will make a nice cheap way
to cover the t-slots.