Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default Bench progress

woodchucker wrote:

On 6/26/2013 10:30 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
cutter, but both were out of the tenons. Rockler promises them tomorrow. Both were also out of the 3/4 inch brad point drill bit I need for the dog holes.

I used a 3/4 spiral upcut bit in my plunge router. You do have to be
careful with it though, the bit will tend to grab.. I figured out that I
had to bounce the router up and down rather than try slowly feeding.
Then I got clean cuts. But it cuts in seconds and is perfectly vertical.
I made a baseplate for my router out of hardboard, put a fence on the
hardboard and a hole for the dog. I move the router along the bench with
the fence controlling offset from the edge, and the hole references the
last doghole for repeatablitiy.

Jeff was obviously watching me build my bench

I second every piece of advice above.