Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Kidding was RIGHT!!?? Holy ****....

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:

I hear dat.
Funny, those hybrid Insights were not a good seller, fwiu.
But I wonder if 86 mpg is a real number, tho...

Well, I saw the picture on the eBay listing of his dashboard
trip display. I have no idea how to fake it, but I think it
would be real hard.

2 seat cars (the original Insight) have never been great sellers,
although the Mazda Miata and Toyota MR2 have a bit of a cult
following. The styling of the original Insight was a bit
funky, especially with the fender skirts. But, I know of
no other production car that gets that kind of mileage.
Not even close.

Oh, for comparison, the "king of the hypermilers" Wayne Gerdes
was in a competition of hypermiling. He borrowed a stock
Insight from somebody in town, and ran the measured
course under supervision. He got ** 168 ** miles per gallon!

How was he able to do that????
6th gear at 20 mph??

It was also raining, which tends to hurt mileage, too.

I've noticed that myself, but thought it might have been my imagination.
Water vapor in the air displaces O2, compromises combustion?
--
EA

Jon