Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lathe Tailstock help (advice) needed

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:01:52 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 6/27/2013 6:27 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
... and then line-bore the
Moglice for alignment and fit to the ram....

Except you'd need the tail stock to do the line boring. Catch 22! Bob

If you want to get tricky, you could set up a steady rest outboard of
the tailstock to hold the tail end of a boring bar. Getting everything
set up right would be a bit of a challenge, but it should work.

Then you have to figure out how you're going to feed the cutter.

I think I'd try rough-boring and then reaming, maybe with a D-bit
reamer -- if time is no object. My tailstock slides along pretty
smoothly if you half-tighten it and set it ahead of the carriage, and
then push it with the carriage. That would probably cost me my
membership in the precision amateur machining association. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress